As we finish up the wet season and winter draws near, many property owners are looking for ways to avoid damage to their homes in the future. The key to avoiding costly repairs and replacements is to properly prepare your home for extreme weather conditions. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Here are some easy steps you can follow to stormproof your property.
- Install impact-resistant window shutters. These protect your entire window, especially the panes, from hurricane-force winds. You may also consider installing impact-resistant storm windows.
- Trim trees. Hurricane-force winds may uproot trees or break their branches. Prune trees and dispose of dead branches, especially those near windows, before a storm arrives.
- Secure loose objects. Store patio furniture and any loose items located on your lawn or garden. Strong winds and heavy rainfall may damage them or turn them into flying projectiles.
- Brace the garage door. Poorly installed garage doors often collapse due to strong winds, permitting interior water damage. Consider strengthening garage doors by adding horizontal bracing.
- Take a look at the roof. Inspect your Manassas roofing for loose and missing shingles, as the wind can easily rip them off and allow wind-driven leaks. You may consider replacing them with a metal roof that offers more protection from extreme weather conditions. Clean your gutters to avoid overflow during heavy downpours.
For more information on preparing your home for extreme weather conditions, consult Peak Roofing Contractors. We’ve been one of the most trusted roofing companies in Northern Virginia and surrounding areas since 2006. We specialize in Haag Certified roof and gutter inspections and have a team of experts trained to repair any type of roof damage. Call us today at (703) 753-4585 to schedule a free consultation.